Submission

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi HaTranThiThu » Thứ 5 Tháng 8 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Full name : TRAN MINH QUOC
Former School : Quoc Hoc High School-Hue City-Thua Thien Hue Province
Former Class : 11 specialize in Biology – Academic year: 2007 - 2008
Address : 91 Dao Duy Anh-Hue City-Thua Thien Hue Province

WE CAN DO IT! TRUST ME!
“What do you think about my city?”
One day I happened to ask Vicky, my American friend that question. She replied with a bright smile: “If I could live in Viet Nam, I would choose Hue because it is green and full of fresh air.” At first my heart was filled with pride hearing such praise from a foreigner about my hometown. However, my happiness did not last long. It was completely collapsed when we caught the image of An Cuu River. Its deeply black water was covered with floating rubbish. I could not hide my distress at this sight. “What have I done for the surrounding environment, for Hue City which I love, and for Vietnam beloved?” I wondered. It has always been a shame for me to see how little I have done for the betterment of this world – this big home that you and I are sharing, so little that there are times, not so few for sure, that I wish I could have magic to keep the green of the earth.

After these reflections, I am greatly encouraged to find more information about environmental issues so that I can do my part to actively protect the environment. I think I can contribute my ideas in order to make a better world in general and a better Vietnam in particular.

To begin with, let me try to define the so-called relationship between human beings and Nature. Nature is our Great Mother. No doubt, she gives us many good things, that is to say, she brings us up and protects us with an infinitive well of love. Nature is our Great Friend. It's undeniable that she offers us endless kinds of joy, among which is just listening to birdsongs or beholding the beauty of flowers in full bloom. Anyone can find themselves at ease once they let their souls be in harmony with Nature. However, have we been either her good children or friend? I am afraid that the answer is in the negative. Now we are hurting our mother, our friend and exploiting her beauty for our own sake and self-indulgence. Every year, thousands of green trees have been cut down for people's short-term benefits. Hundreds of wild animals have been in danger because of illegal hunting. What is more, industrialization, together with a number of factories, is one of the factors causing air pollution by smoke and chemicals released into the air. As the general rule, human beings have to pay for what we have done. Natural disasters are what are called "nature's anger". More seriously, the increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) is believed to cause "greenhouse effects" as well as lead to global warming.

Are that all problems above worth being taken into consideration? The answer lies in each of us. Whether to save or our environment or harm it and ourselves as well, it depends on us. I remember the lyrics which I like best: “Mistakes will go, only love remains". We should start now.

Have you ever ridden your bicycle while eating a loaf of bread, and then thrown the leftover on the road? Have you ever kept silent when someone dropped the rubbish in the river? By doing such "trivial things" – as we might call them – out of mere thoughtlessness, we are making ourselves inconsiderate lovers. I myself have not experienced such kind of things, but there came a story that I could never forget. One day, on walking along the riverbank, I happened to see a piece of garbage in my way. I ignored it and tried to excuse to myself: "Just a piece can not do any harm". But one little foreigner girl's behavior made me ashamed and regretful. She stopped to pick the garbage up, then put it in its right place .That is my memorable lesson about individual responsibility for our surroundings. It is disappointing and shameful if we are not good lovers! However, we will change, changing from the simple small things although individually we are only a minute member on the big, big world. Let’s be patient and wait for the waste-basket. Let’s be brave and take serious actions before it’s too late. We aren’t out of tune in this modern wave that we are creating a new mindset. A new lifestyle is actually being born. I know trying to change ourselves is difficult and against our nature, yet the promises for a better tomorrow are too valuable to ignore. I will change, you will change, and we will change the world as the result for the benefit of a better life.

When you do those things, even with the most modest spirit, you would believe that you are changing the world. Just like throwing a handful of pebbles into a lake which result in spreading concentric circles, with every young tree you grow, you will make the world greener by your positive influence. And just stop for a second to see how "infectious" such a positive attitude can be as all of these things will have an effect on other people. The heart of nature has been hurt and our positive attitude will be a miraculous treatment.

The love between nature and people is everlasting. What a beautiful love! Suddenly, I recognize that I have magical power. I can see the future. One future is very brilliant when all people are committed to creating a cleaner environment.

You also have this power. All of us can create miracles.

I believe.

I would like to quote Louis L. Hay’s word for my conclusion: “Change your thinking and you’ll change your life”. That is always the case, and our attitude toward our environment should never be an exception. It is high time each individual in every society in general and teenage students like me in particular held more responsibilities for our big home.

By all goodwill, respect, love and care, we will bring a new vigor to our environment and to ourselves which is definitely crucial for the future of Vietnam and of the world.
AFRAID OF HOSPITALS
HaTranThiThu
Bạn sơ giao QBO
Bạn sơ giao QBO

Bài viết: 45
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 4 Tháng 4 09, 2008 3:12 pm
Đến từ: cựu học sinh Chuyên QB

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Tocxu » Thứ 7 Tháng 8 16, 2008 6:51 am

This is a great post in term of ideas. This problem has not caught the attention of so many Vietnamese due to their ignorances of the long term effects of polluted environment. Some people may say that "we are too poor to care about such a luxurious issue" but I don't believe so. Environment protection does need so much money, it needs our attitude more. It also indicates our level of civilization which is the most important pride one keeps about his/her country. I will never be ashamed if someone tell me that my country is poor, but I will definitely be if someone says that my country is not civilized due to our attitude to environment (and some other matters). Trying to put the trash at the right place is not so difficult if one understands that it's extremely improper to throw it around.

Bravo Quoc for such an innovative point of view. I hope that many members here care about this issue and have their own contribution.

In term of writing skill, I have some suggestions (although I am sure that my writing is not as good as his :smt032 ):

Quoc đã viết:To begin with, let me try to define the so-called relationship between human beings and Nature. Nature is our Great Mother. No doubt, she gives us many good things, that is to say, she brings us up and protects us with an infinitive (1) well of love. Nature is our Great Friend. It's undeniable that she offers us endless kinds of joy, among which is just listening to birdsongs or beholding the beauty of flowers in full bloom. Anyone can find themselves at ease once they let their souls be in harmony with Nature. However, have we been either her good children or friend (2)? I am afraid that the answer is in the negative (3). Now we are hurting our mother, our friend and exploiting her beauty for our own sake and self-indulgence. Every year, thousands(4) of green trees have been cut down for people's short-term benefits. Hundreds(5) of wild animals have been in danger because of illegal hunting. What is more, industrialization, together with a number of factories, is one of the factors causing air pollution by smoke and chemicals released into the air. As the general rule, human beings have to pay for what we (6) have done. Natural disasters are what are called (7) "nature's anger". More seriously, the increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) is believed to cause "greenhouse effects" as well as lead to global warming.

1. "infinitive": it should be "infinite". "Infinitive" means undefined, undetermined. "Infinite" means "very much", "unrestricted".
2. "friend": should be "friends" in order to be parallel with "children".
3. "in the negative": it's better if simply put "negative" .
4+5. "thousands", "hundreds": they are not impressive (and precise) enough. They should be (I guess :smt032) "thousands of thousand" and "hundreds of thousand" .
6. "we": should be "they".
7. "what are called": I prefer "what we call".

I am not a judge but I just wanted to say it out as a friend commenting one's writing to show his interest. Waiting to see more from Quoc and other members of QBO.
Tocxu
Tôi yêu QBO
Tôi yêu QBO

Bài viết: 462
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 2 Tháng 3 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi HaTranThiThu » Thứ 3 Tháng 8 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Note: All the submissions will be posted in the forum so that everybody can read and learn some experience from the strengths and the weaknesses of the articles/essays.

No 2: Kevin
Võ Thanh Vân - 12 Maths, Hue College of Sciences

[align=center]MY EXPERIENCE[/align]

About the solution that schools can help students who move to a new school with their problems.

I think many students moving into a new community and attending a new school can face a lot of problems.I know An who moving to Quach Xuan Ki Secondary school,he talks with me some difficult he has in new school and I think the school's administration and the students' teacher must help him by any way, they can engage other students to become involved with the new studens,too.Now,I'm telling to you my experience in this problem:

A school administrator should begin by giving a complete orientation to their new school.They sould tell them about the history of the school and talk to the students about what rules the school has.

And then, the school counselor should talk to the students about what they're most interested in studying. The counselor can tell the students about all the extracurricular activities there are at the school. For example, the school might offer things like sports, art, music, and working on a school newspaper.

The teachers have that most important job when it comes to new students.It's up to them to help the students meet other students in class.Both the adults and the other students need to help new students feel apart of their new school.

But with new students,he (she) should makes friends with all member in his (her) class.IF he(she) wants to built friendship,he must has some very special qualities.

It's not easy,but it pays off with happier,more successful students in the end.
[align=center]Corrections:[/align]
I think many students moving into a new community and attending a new school can face a lot of problems. I know An who moved to Quach Xuan Ki Secondary school. He told me about the difficulties he had in his new school. (what are the difficulties?)
I think the school's administration and the teacher should help him or other students to become involved with the new students. Now, I'm telling you my experience in this problem:
A school administrator should begin by giving a complete orientation to their new school.They should tell them about the history of the school and talk to the students about the rules, disciplines, or other related things.
Then, the school counselor should talk to the students about what they're most interested in studying. The counselor can tell the students about all the extracurricular activities at school. For example, the school might offer things like sports, art, music, and working on a school newspaper.
The teachers have that most important job when it comes to new students (what do you mean?). It's up to them to help the students go along well with other students in class. Both the adults and the other students need to help newcomers.
But for new students, he (she) should make acquainted with other friends in his (her) class . If he wants to build friendship, he must has some very special qualities.
It's not easy, but it pays off with happier,more successful students in the end (what do you mean?)

You had good idea but it seemed that you had some difficulties in developing your idea and making it clear and logic. You just gave some points but did not elaborate on them so it's hard to comprehend your opinions. Moreover, you should have organized your paragraphs better. (If you intended to write an essay, you should pay attention to unity and coherence. Avoid run-on sentences and put the same points together).
AFRAID OF HOSPITALS
HaTranThiThu
Bạn sơ giao QBO
Bạn sơ giao QBO

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Rec » Chủ nhật Tháng 8 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Quo^'c and Va(n - Pls take "Hi" from me. Glad to meet you!

See all of you soon.

Rec
Bút, Nghiên, Sách, Vở suốt đời không ngừng, nghỉ.
Cơm, Áo, Gạo, Tiền hôm sớm mấy đếm, đong
Hình đại diện của thành viên
Rec
Quản trị viên QBO
Quản trị viên QBO

Bài viết: 7718
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 4 Tháng 11 22, 2006 5:13 pm
Đến từ: T.Trấn Cồn rậy :)

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi HaTranThiThu » Thứ 5 Tháng 9 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Number 3: Cao Ngọc Tuấn - Quảng Bình Gifted High School K1998-2001

[align=center]Is globalization creating liberalization in economy, a wider gap between the rich and the poor countries, the state demise in economy as well as the global crises?
[/align]

Nowadays, the world is becoming a global village. The more integrated that (omitted) the world economy is, the more benefits and challenges it gains. According to many researches of economists, the current integrated world has been created by globalization. Some of the questions posed are “What is globalization?” and “Is globalization good for the poor economies?” This essay will answer those questions and will prove that globalization is not good for the third world nations. In the other words, it will discuss the negative effects of globalization on the poor economies in the world. Although globalization promotes the global economy through liberalization it has led to a wider gap between the rich and the poor economies, the reduction of poor countries’ capacity to control domestic economy and the global crises.

We have seen the fast development of developing countries such as China, India, Korea, the instabilities of some developed countries(omitted) economies including the United States, Japan or the low standard of living in African are somehow the results of globalization. So, what is globalization? According to Mittelman (2000), globalization is the process of reducing borders between countries and encouraging closer economy, politics and society. With the same view, Steger (2003) defines globalization as a set of social process of transforming the world into one entity. Following those definitions, we know that globalization is a worldwide process which thoroughly influences countries of the world.

First of all, it is hard to deny that globalization promotes of(omitted) the world economy due to its liberalization. Globalization creates the liberalization in commerce. More specifically, the current globalized world is bound together by free trade, responsible investments and multi-national organizations. According to Streeten (2001), globalization in some ways has been giving the advantages for the world economy including the rapid growth of the ratio of international trade in relation to national income and the fast increase of the world gross domestic product (GDP). In 2000, the volume of international trade reaches US$7.6 trillion, much higher than in the 1990s. In addition, the flows of the foreign direct investment (FDI) as well as the mobilization of capital between countries and countries in the world seem to be easier in recent years. According to the statistics cited from the United Nations (UN) report and the World Trade Organization (WTO) report (1996) cited by Michie and Smith (1998), there has been a very rapid growth of FDI in the 1990s. Those statistics notes the average annual FDI inflows had been rising from US$77.5 billion during 1983-1987 and to US$315 billion in 1995. In this book, Michie and Smith also say that the East and South East Asian countries grow fast because many of these countries have been major recipients of FDI. In the more updated statistics of O’Connor (2002), FDI in the global economy tops US$1 trillion in 2000. This indicates the fast increase of FDI in the world. Hence, the world economy has been improved because of the liberalization, one effect of globalization.

However, that is the overview of the world economy. To analyse this process specifically, we can see globalization has generated many unwanted effects on the poor economies.

The first negative effect of globalization process is that globalization makes the gap between the rich and the poor countries in the world even wider. According to Tisdell. and Sen (2004), globalization makes people and countries unprepared to adapt measures for it. The rich countries have enough resouces (resources) including finance, technology and political power; therefore, they can overcome the globalization shocks. Meanwhile, because of underdeveloped technology and dependence on external economies, poor countries become passive once the globalization shocks happen. Broadly, the globalization shocks contain the economic, cultural, political and environmental shocks. Poor countries are facing the shocks of literacy, diseases as well as starvation. The statistics given by O’Connor (2002) in the book “Demystifying the Global Economy” note in 1999, 47% of the total adult population were illiterate; 57% of people had inadequate sanitation facilities in poor countries; 25 million people in Africans lived with HIV. Alternatively, O’Connor’s report shows that in 1999, the GDP rate in developed countries was UD$ (USD$)24.3 trillion, meanwhile, that of lower-middle income countries and low-income countries were US$ 2.6 trillion and US$ 1 trillion. O’Connor also cites the estimation of UNFPA which notes 20% of the world’s population living in the high income countries consumes about 86% of all private goods, compared with the poorest 20% of the world’s population that consumes just 1.3% if all private goods. Those indicators are the reflection of the globalization effects and in many economists’ opinion, this situation will continue so far. Therefore, it is no doubt that the gap between the rich and the poor countries is wider.

Moreover, globalization is seen as the fundamental (fundament) of global crises, particularly the financial crises and debt crises. According to Gangopadhyay and Chatterji (2005), global economic crises are caused by the two main mismatches including the maturity mismatch and the currency mismatch. Financial crises can arise out of a mismatch between the maturity of investments and debts and the currency mismatch. poor countries normally have low currency in comparison with rich countries; therefore the potential of financial crises is high with poor countries. Gangopadhyay and Chatterji (2005) also clarify that one of the causes of Asian countries in 1997 was the mismatch of currency maturity. After the “bubble” burst, the foreign investors in Thailand, Korea wildly withdrew money once they had to pay more for facilitations (facilities) and for workers. With the weak currency, those Asian countries could not adjust to the “bubble” price and declare to float currency. After the declaration, the inflation rocketed, the domestic currency valuation ceased to plunge. Consequently, a series of crises happened in those Asian countries in 1997.

In addition, the mismatch between the debts and investments is seemly popular in poor countries and it is the major cause for the debt crises in those countries. In some severe situations such as suffering natural disasters, experiencing economic shocks, the poor countries must sign some contracts for loans. However, those poor countries after certain of times are not able to pay those debts and become the unpayable debtors. As a result, the debt crises are caused. The debt crises in the Third World nations are also popular Today. According to Buckman (2004), the Third World debt in 2004 was about US$2,530 billion, about two times its level of 1980. Moreover, he asserts that when the poor countries sign in a contract on a loan from developed countries, IMF or the World Bank, they must also pay other costs for this. For example, they must cut the tariff, minimal controls on foreign investment, currency devaluation and low government spending. Particularly, they must accept the rich countries to come and exploit the national raw materials to pay for the debts. However, it is not enough for the Third World nations.

Furthermore, globalization makes the capacity of national management in economy decrease. Meanwhile, it makes the role of multinational corporations and international organization increase. It also can be understood as the nation state demise in economy. Technically, globalization is indicated as the considerable uniformity exhibited by sovereign states in terms of their goals, structures, programs and internal operations. (Boli and Lechner (2000)). Therefore, the economic sovereign and independence of countries, particularly poor countries are not stable. When countries participate into (in) the world economy, they must obey the world’s economic principles. The world market will decide the domestic economy. Former Malaysian Prime Minister Mohamad (2002) in Globalization and the New Realities indicates that one of the five major challenges for countries, particularly for the poor countries, is the challenge on independent thoughts. Consequently, governmental capacity of controlling the domestic economy will be decreased in the globalized world. Alternatively, the role of international organizations is increasingly more important. It is hard to deny that since the establishment of the World Trade Organization (WTO), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), those international organizations have been playing important roles in the global trade. As a result, a series of commercial regulations and agreement systems have been established and successfully implemented such as General Agreement on Tariff and Trade (GATT), Most Favoured Countries (MFN)… In some ways, those regulations and agreements are directly affecting to all countries in the world.

In brief, it is undeniable that globalization has given a lot of advantages for the world economy. Owing to this process, the world GDP and the international trade has soared. Conversely, globalization has made the poor countries even poorer. The negative effects of this process on poor economies are reasons for the bigger gap between the rich and the poor countries. In addition, globalization is the fundament of global crises and it reduces the capacity of a government in controlling domestic economy, but the role of multi-national enterprises and global organizations increase. Obviously, globalization is indispensable. The essential things that the poor economies should do are to avoid as much as possible the negative effects of globalization. In essence, the poor countries need to be careful when participating in international organizations or sign into trade contracts. That is the only way for them to avoid potential risks and keep their economic more independent.

Cao Ngoc Tuan (19/12/2007)

Bibliography:

Boli, J. & Lechner, F.J. (2000), The Globalization Reader, Blackwell, Malden, Massachusetts, USA.

Buckman, G., (2004), Globalization: Tame It or Scrap It?, The University Press Ltd, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

David E. O’Connor, (2002)) (O’Connor, D., E. (2002), Demystifying the Global Economy, Greenwood Press, Connecticut, London.

Gangopadhyay, P. & Chatterji, M. (2005), Economics of Globalization, Ashgate Publishing Limited, Aldershot, England.

Gangopadhyay, P. & Chatterji, M. (2005), Economic Globalization In Asia, Ashgate Publishing Limited, Hampshire, England.

Michie, J. (2003), ‘The Future of Globalization’, The Handbook of Globalization, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Cheltenham, UK, pp. 17-37.

Michie, J. & Smith, J. G. (1998), Globalization Growth, and Governance: Creating an Innovative Economy, Oxford University Press Inc., New York.

Mittelman, J.H. (2000), The Globalization Syndrome Transformation and Resistance, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, The United State of America.

Mohamad, M. (2002), ‘Globalization and Its Impact on Developing Economies’, Globalization and the New Realities, Pelanduk Pulications (M) Sdn Bhd, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaisia, pp. 39-52.

Steger, M.B. (2003), Globalization A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press Inc, New York.

Streeten, P. (2001), Globalization Threat or Opportunities, Copenhagen Business School Press, Denmark.
nflicts, Labour and Environmental Issues, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Cheltenham, UK.

@Tuan: your article is very informative. I appreciate your great analysis but you should take care of some minor mistakes as cited.
Also, you are supposed to send me your current address( school or office) so that we can contact you in case you win the award :smt032
[b][u]
AFRAID OF HOSPITALS
HaTranThiThu
Bạn sơ giao QBO
Bạn sơ giao QBO

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Thanh Hang » Thứ 7 Tháng 9 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi, I think Ha shouldn't ask for mr Tuan's address because he will transfer to ms Yen - Treasurer of QKH. Hi. Do you agree with me, Tuan? :)
Thanh Hang
Bạn chí cốt QBO
Bạn chí cốt QBO

Bài viết: 181
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 4 Tháng 2 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi caodaica » Chủ nhật Tháng 9 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanh Hang đã viết:Hi, I think Ha shouldn't ask for mr Tuan's address because he will transfer to ms Yen - Treasurer of QKH. Hi. Do you agree with me, Tuan? :)

Well, kind of confusing. I do not really understand what you are mentioning of. Who is ms Yen? What is QKH? If I can achieve any award, please send to the Quang Binh High School for the Gifted(CBQ) Fund or send it directly to Mr. Le Anh Vu, administrator of CQB website. Well, once be the CQB student, permanently be this school student. Sort of PRIDE...
Dear Ms. Hang, how are you??? Lovely to keep in touch with you via this website??? Hope you are going well.
Dear all, I will try to send my writing monthly for sharing and learning more...
Love,
Tuan. :smt036
độc thân, vui tính, gấp gáp tìm bạn đời, đang sợ bị ế... Zô đê, tui cầu xin đó, zô đê...
caodaica
Mới tìm hiểu QBO
Mới tìm hiểu QBO

Bài viết: 16
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 7 Tháng 9 06, 2008 11:15 pm

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi Thanh Hang » Chủ nhật Tháng 9 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Ms Yen is Treasurer of Fund of Scholarship for Poor and Talent Pupil in QBO (more detail: http://forum.quangbinhonline.com/4rum/v ... .php?f=113) :smt032 Hope to get your support next time :mozilla_cool: I like your essay, please share us every week, ok? :smt032
I know you are good at Chinese too, please join Chineses corner in QBO.
Thanh Hang
Bạn chí cốt QBO
Bạn chí cốt QBO

Bài viết: 181
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 4 Tháng 2 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi caodaica » Thứ 2 Tháng 9 08, 2008 6:46 am

Thanh Hang đã viết:Ms Yen is Treasurer of Fund of Scholarship for Poor and Talent Pupil in QBO (more detail: http://forum.quangbinhonline.com/4rum/v ... .php?f=113) :smt032 Hope to get your support next time :mozilla_cool: I like your essay, please share us every week, ok? :smt032
I know you are good at Chinese too, please join Chineses corner in QBO.

:smt028 Ouch, I have never heard of Ms. Yen and any compliment about my Chinese... Gud on me to join this Chinese Corner, 'd like 2 learn more.
About the Prize, pls. send to Ms. Yen, simultaneously, reference the name of Cao Ngoc Tuan for me in transferring (If I can get any)
Love, :mozilla_kiss:
Caodaica...
độc thân, vui tính, gấp gáp tìm bạn đời, đang sợ bị ế... Zô đê, tui cầu xin đó, zô đê...
caodaica
Mới tìm hiểu QBO
Mới tìm hiểu QBO

Bài viết: 16
Ngày tham gia: Thứ 7 Tháng 9 06, 2008 11:15 pm

Bài viết chưa xemgửi bởi HaTranThiThu » Thứ 2 Tháng 9 08, 2008 11:03 pm

It's so kind of you, CAODAICA :mozilla_kiss: Thank you so much =D> We are waiting for your useful posts.
Today is not the deadline so there has not been the final result yet. Only two days left for you to send your articles/essays.
My friends, September 10th will be the deadline for the first month. Please send your works to goldpenQBO@gmail.com as soon as possible.
P/S: I love you, my family!
AFRAID OF HOSPITALS
HaTranThiThu
Bạn sơ giao QBO
Bạn sơ giao QBO

Trang kế tiếp

Quay về • The QBO Golden Pen

Ai đang trực tuyến?

Đang xem chuyên mục này: Không có thành viên nào đang trực tuyến4 khách